In a new Executive Order that goes into effect March 15th, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis says these groups will be eligible to receive the COVID vaccine…
· Long-term care facility residents and staff;
· Persons 60 years of age and older;
· Health care personnel with direct patient contact;
· K-12 school employees 50 years of age and older;
· Sworn law enforcement officers 50 years of age and older; and
· Firefighters 50 years of age and older.
The biggest challenge so far to getting the vaccine to those who wish to take it, has been supply. The state is distributing the vaccine as quickly as it arrives from the federal government. So far about 30 million Americans have been fully vaccinated. That’s 9% of the U.S. population.
COVID cases numbers have been on the decline in recent weeks, both throughout the state and here in Lee County. Lee Health Systems reported 64 total cases of COIV-19 in their hospitals as of yesterday.