A hearing is being held at Lakes Library on August 10th at 10AM called: “Weathering the Storm: Oversight of the Federal Response and Recovery Efforts in Southwest Florida following Hurricane Ian.” There are no representatives from Fort Myers Beach on the panels.
Fort Myers Beach was ground zero for Hurricane Ian. Ten months later the struggles for local residents continue with permitting issues, debris removal, home demolition, rising construction costs and so many other issues. Fort Myers Beach residents were given a giant FEMA runaround with the trailer issue in the early months after the storm. Fort Myers Beach property values have declined over 40% thanks to Hurricane Ian. And, it took 10 months for the government to finally agree that Town Hall should be demolished. When we asked a committee staff member why someone from Fort Myers Beach was not on a panel we were told “the Fort Myers Mayor is on panel #2.” Of course we had to explain that there was a difference between Fort Myers and Fort Myers Beach.
The hearing is being held by the House of Representatives’ Committee on Oversight and Accountability. Congressman Byron Donalds is a member of the Oversight Committee. We understand Mayor Dan Allers will be giving the committee a tour of Fort Myers Beach after the hearings. Get your “I Love FEMA” signs ready everyone
The hearing is open to the public. We will carry the hearing live.
Here’s who will be speaking:
On panel #1:
- Brett Howard, Federal Coordinating Officer for Hurricane Ian (Apr. 2023 – Present), Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Thomas McCool, Federal Coordinating Officer for Hurricane Ian (Sept. 2022 – Apr. 2023), Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Francisco Sánchez, Jr., Associate Administrator, Office of Disaster Recovery & Resilience, Small Business Administration
- Marion McFadden, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, Community Planning and Development, Department of Housing and Urban Development
On panel #2
– Brian Hamman, Chairman, Lee County Board of Commissioner
– Chauncey Goss, Resident, Sanibel, FL
– Kevin Anderson, Mayor, Fort Myers, FL