On Wednesday, November 17th, the Lee County Solid Waste Department will host their next free drop-off of household chemical waste from 8 a.m. to noon at Bay Oaks.
Here’s the list of all the items you can drop off:
- Ammunition & Fireworks
- Auto/Boat/Motorcycle lead/acid batteries
- Batteries such as: Nickel-cadmium and lithium-ion batteries found in cordless phones or other electronics or rechargeable batteries like those found in cordless drills. (NOTE: Household alkaline batteries such as AA, AAA, C, D, 9 volt, button batteries for watches and hearing aides can go in with your regular household garbage.)
- Cell Phones (these can also be returned to your cell phone provider)
- Fluorescent Bulbs and Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs The EPA offers good information about how to safely clean up broken fluorescent bulbs.
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fluorescent Bulb ballast (fixture)
- Lawn and Garden Chemicals
- Medication – Keep medicines in original container. Mark out your name and prescription number.
Paints and Paint Thinner
(NOTE: EMPTY paint cans, cans of hardened paint and EMPTY spray cans can be disposed of with your regular household garbage. Painting supplies such as caulk, paste, glue, compound – anything hard or pastey in texture – should be bagged and disposed of with your regular garbage.)
- Propane Tanks – both the larger 20 lb. tanks used for grilling and the smaller one lb. canisters used for cook stoves.